For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16
NOTE: The below is an exact copy of my sermon notes – non-edited for this blog post – take what you want from it; make it your own.
One of the most well known and quoted verses in the Bible, which sums up the gospel in ‘general terms’, without going into the terrible details of what actually happened to Christ.
The verse shows that God is love, and that His love extended beyond the nation of Israel to ALL people on the earth.
This is a ‘positive’ verse, but it is past tense, and is NOT the gospel, which is the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24) that Paul preached after it had been revealed to him (Gal. 1:8-10) by supernatural revelation. And our gospel today is 75% negative (1 Cor. 15:1-4).
Today, I would prefer to use the 1 Pet. 3:18.
However, this verse is a great opener to begin witnessing to an unsaved person in need of salvation, and the verse itself is fantastic at revealing the mind, heart and the will of God, and also at addressing a number of the world’s ‘isms’.
- responds to atheism, which claims there is no God.
- God exists, only the fool hath said in his heart there is no God.
- responds to fatalism, which asserts God is an impersonal force.
- ‘loved’ past tense – now John 3:36.
- responds to nationalism, which says God loves only one group of people.
that He gave
- responds to materialism, which says it is more blessed to receive than to give (Acts 20:35).
His only begotten Son,
- responds to Mohammedism, which says God has no Son.
- ‘Say: He is Allah. The One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him.’ (Surah 112, Al-Ikhlas, verses 1-4)
- “begotten” – removed from modern ‘bibles’ – changed to “one and only”. This is a lie and these Bible ‘correctors’ are professional liars who know exactly what they are doing – Luke 3:22.
- There were angelic sons of God in the OT (Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7),
- the created son of God in v38,
- the national son of God, Israel (Ex. 4:22),
- and the spiritual sons of God, John 1:12, the Christians.
- Christ was the only BEGOTTEN i.e. He was never created; but has always existed.
- 1:14 & 18 – The Son is eternally in the Father’s “bosom” and eternally proceeding from His “bosom” as the “only begotten” – Jesus is uniquely different from the many sons of God as we’ve mentioned. Deleting the word “begotten” allows dangerous heresy in the understanding of the nature of Christ.
- These professional liars Bible ‘correctors’ get away with changing the word because they take advantage of the ignorance of the Scriptures by the ordinary person (saved or lost). So they do their dirty work and try and won’t be caught until they’ve sold millions of copies.
that whosoever believeth
- responds to five-point Calvinism, which says Christ died only for the elect.
- “whosoever” Rom. 10:9-13
- 1 John 5:1
- NIV reads ‘Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.’
- Rev. 20:15 – whosoever is there too for all who reject Christ.
- Rev. 22:17 – the last invitation in the Bible to receive the Lord Jesus Christ. The Spirit and the bride say “come”. God uses the Christian to bring people to Him for salvation.
- responds to pluralism, which says all religions are equal.
- it’s ALL about Christ! John 14:1 – it’s not good enough to just say that you believe in God.
should not perish,
- responds to annihilationism, which says there is no hell.
- Mat. 10:28, 11:23-24, 23:33
- Acts 2:27, 2 Pet. 2:4, Rev. 1:18, 20:14
but have everlasting life.
- responds to Armenianism, which says God only gives life conditionally.
- notice that if life can be “everlasting” so can Hell be everlasting.
John 3:16 is a simple Biblicism which reveals the mind, the heart, and the will of God.
For those who are unsaved:
When we are born into this world, we have physical life that lasts until we die. When we are “born again” (by believing what Jesus did for us on the cross; for the forgiveness of our sins), we receive eternal life, which is the life of God. It never ends, for when our bodies die at the end of our life, we go to Heaven to be with God, and go on living the eternal life that we start here and now. Eternal life is more than quantity; it is quality also. It is the life of Christ in the believer (Gal. 2:20).
In Christian love,