Great to see you all on the Thursday Live Chat (12-Aug-2021) over on our YouTube channel. Thanks so much for being part of the conversation about ‘Are you an unteachable or teachable Christian?’.
Again, the below is from my own experience preaching to and teaching many Christians over the years.
Some traits and signs of someone who IS UNteachable:
- They don’t take notes – not talking about writing a novel, but at least a few post-its of notes of interest when listening to sermons or reading the word.
- They don’t ask questions or attempt anything that might reveal their ignorance, lack of knowledge, or perhaps making them look stupid.
- They don’t accept responsibility for their failures (or heed godly counsel), but blame anyone and everyone else.
- They don’t let other Christians try and help them.
- They talk about themselves most of the time, especially when they have a great opportunity to learn something from someone they are with.
- They don’t take criticism or correction without resentment or retaliation.
- They resist moving out of their personal comfort zones in work, study, ministry, or relationships, but always look for the easy and familiar route.
- They don’t read, listen to, or learn anything that challenges their existing beliefs.
Some traits and signs of someone who IS teachable:
- They admit limitations, inabilities, and ignorance to others who can teach and help them. They regularly ask for help, instruction, guidance, and advice (but LISTEN and ACTION too!).
- They learn from anyone and everyone they can – we can learn something from everyone!
- They are prepared to move out of their comfort zone, try something different, make mistakes, look stupid, answer wrongly, and so on. Stop trying to always act self-righteousness and ‘cool’!
- They don’t give up/run off when things don’t go their way, or they fail at something. But they seek help, and keep trying until they get it right.
- They are willing to change their views and practices when convincing evidence is presented to them even if it means them admitting that they were wrong.
Also, in response to someone in the chat who asked about whether the covid-19 jab is the pale horse – this is the Matt Crane video I mentioned that I am certain will be of great interest:
In Christian love,